Sunday, October 11, 2009

Case 3

What to do:

Make the character move with Actionscript 3.0

Finally the fun begins!

I have never really done any sort of programming so this case was pretty... Scary, although the only thing the character was supposed to do was walk back and forth the screen. Started reading a bit in the book "Learning Actionscript 3.0" which really isn't such a good book to learn it from if you've never been doing any sort of programming before.

On thursday 24th of september I finally stepped properly into the world of Syntax Errors, and frustration when the whole class got tutoring in how to make the program you needed to solve the case. This was a interesting experience, cause you always think you have copied the text exactly, but you never have. You've always forgot a comma or something which screws up the program. It's kinda like learning french, just apart from that when you start learning french, if you're thought a simple way to as for directions or somthing, and ask a frenchman, he or she wil kinda understand what you're trying to say, and show you in the right direction, but if you asked Flash for directions and you did it in a way that wasn't 100% right, it will tell you that you spell bad and leave.

Anyhow, as I kept on writing script, I thought I finished, cause the program finally stopped telling me how much I suck at writing down commas, but ofcourse I was wrong. The character moved allright, even with animation, but when he got to the end of the screen, he just stopped, and didn't walk back as I wanted him to, but just stood there walking into nothing.

After too many hours at hom I finally solved the problem myself! And man what a feeling it was, having tried to look up in "Learning Actionscript 3.0" without any result at all, and trying and faling forever, I noticed a code in the script that was doing almost the same, copied it, and altered the names to mach the function I was trying to run, and then seeing him actually move backwards, and forwards, and backwards and forwards. It was unbelivable, I actually think I screamed a bit in joy of completing the case.

After that I went back to reading the actionscript book again, actually understanding a little more than I used to, and also tried to put new functions into my code, but as soon as I did that flash started yelling at me again. But it didn't matter that much cause the case was complete anyhow!

Hooray

No comments:

Post a Comment